Greetings and Happy Black History Month AAPAC Members and Supporters,
February, the official month dedicated to honoring the contributions of Black and African Americans, is here and we must CELEBRATE, EDUCATE and PARTICIPATE!
The AAPAC Advisory Team urges you to work with your school sites to ensure that celebrations are being planned and evidence of these celebrations are visible and well executed. Although we celebrate Black History EVERYDAY, it is important that we spend this month educating our families, friends and communities about the richness of our history. We encourage you to join AAPAC, SFUSD and the City of San Francisco in 2017’s Black History Month celebratory gatherings listed below. Please also take sometime to read through the attachments for additional information.
Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:30am-12:30pm
37th Annual Oratorical/Musical/Stomp Contest hosted by the SF Alliance of Black School Educators
Willie L. Brown Middle School, 2055 Silver Avenue SF, CA
This year’s theme is “Transforming Our Vision Into A System of Equality, Access and Self-Advancement.” This will be a phenomenal day where we celebrate our students as they showcase their oration, musical and poetry skills. Students interested in applying, please contact Mrs. Emily Wade-Thompson for application details at (415) 401-2555 x1246.
Other Black History Celebrations in SF:
- San Francisco Public Library Celebrates Black History- http://sfpl.org/?pg=1022958101
- Museum of the African Diaspora- http://www.moadsf.org/calendar/
More ways you can share the Collective Brilliance of African American people in your home:
- PBS Black Culture Connection: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/home/
- PBS Documentary Suggestions: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-history-documentaries-to-watch/#.WHgJybYrK8o
- Time for Kids: http://www.timeforkids.com/minisite/black-history-month