Greetings and Happy Black History Month AAPAC Members and Supporters,
February, the official month dedicated to honoring the contributions of Black and African Americans, is here and we must CELEBRATE, EDUCATE and PARTICIPATE!
The AAPAC Advisory Team urges you to work with your school sites to ensure that celebrations are being planned and evidence of these celebrations are visible and well executed. Although we celebrate Black History EVERYDAY, it is important that we spend this month educating our families, friends and communities about the richness of our history. We encourage you to join AAPAC, SFUSD and the City of San Francisco in 2017’s Black History Month celebratory gatherings listed below. Please also take sometime to read through the attachments for additional information.
Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:00pm-8:00pm
23rd Annual African American Honor Roll and Candlelight Ceremony
St. Mary’s Cathedral, 111 Gough Street SF, CA
The San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators & The African American Community request the honor of your presence at our Annual Honor Roll Academic Awards Ceremony & Reception. We will honor 3rd-12th grade African American students who have achieved a 3.0 or higher this academic year. Please see the invitation attached. This event is open to all. There is a $10 donation request per guest.
Other Black History Celebrations in SF:
- San Francisco Public Library Celebrates Black History- http://sfpl.org/?pg=1022958101
- Museum of the African Diaspora- http://www.moadsf.org/calendar/
More ways you can share the Collective Brilliance of African American people in your home:
- PBS Black Culture Connection: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/home/
- PBS Documentary Suggestions: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-history-documentaries-to-watch/#.WHgJybYrK8o
- Time for Kids: http://www.timeforkids.com/minisite/black-history-month