Greetings and Happy Black History Month AAPAC Members and Supporters,
February, the official month dedicated to honoring the contributions of Black and African Americans, is here and we must CELEBRATE, EDUCATE and PARTICIPATE!
The AAPAC Advisory Team urges you to work with your school sites to ensure that celebrations are being planned and evidence of these celebrations are visible and well executed. Although we celebrate Black History EVERYDAY, it is important that we spend this month educating our families, friends and communities about the richness of our history. We encourage you to join AAPAC, SFUSD and the City of San Francisco in 2017’s Black History Month celebratory gatherings listed below. Please also take sometime to read through the attachments for additional information.
Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:30pm-7:30pm
Black Family Workshop: “What Are We Asking Your Child To Do Differently?”
Leola Havard Auditorium, 1520 Oakdale Avenue SF, CA
Families will leave with a shared understanding of the current status of their school’s academic data and how they can support their child’s academic journey from kindergarten to eighth grade. This free workshop will be presented by Ms. D’Andrea Robinson, Transitional Kindergarten Teacher and Michael Essien, Principal of Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School. Food and Childcare will be provided.
Other Black History Celebrations in SF:
- San Francisco Public Library Celebrates Black History- http://sfpl.org/?pg=1022958101
- Museum of the African Diaspora- http://www.moadsf.org/calendar/
More ways you can share the Collective Brilliance of African American people in your home:
- PBS Black Culture Connection: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/home/
- PBS Documentary Suggestions: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-history-documentaries-to-watch/#.WHgJybYrK8o
- Time for Kids: http://www.timeforkids.com/minisite/black-history-month