Greetings and Happy Black History Month AAPAC Members and Supporters,
February, the official month dedicated to honoring the contributions of Black and African Americans, is here and we must CELEBRATE, EDUCATE and PARTICIPATE!
The AAPAC Advisory Team urges you to work with your school sites to ensure that celebrations are being planned and evidence of these celebrations are visible and well executed. Although we celebrate Black History EVERYDAY, it is important that we spend this month educating our families, friends and communities about the richness of our history. We encourage you to join AAPAC, SFUSD and the City of San Francisco in 2017’s Black History Month celebratory gatherings listed below. Please also take sometime to read through the attachments for additional information.
Friday, February 3, 2017 Noon-1:00pm
“The Crisis in Black Education” Black History Month Kickoff
City Hall Rotunda, 1 Dr Carlton B Goodlett Pl, San Francisco, CA 94102
The African American Historical and Cultural Society will host the 2017 Annual Black History Month Kick-off at City Hall and you, your family and friends are welcome to join. This year’s guest speaker will be Landon Dickey, Special Assistant to the Superintendent for African American Achievement and Leadership. The event will also feature student and community performances. Admission is free and open to the public.
Other Black History Celebrations in SF:
- San Francisco Public Library Celebrates Black History- http://sfpl.org/?pg=1022958101
- Museum of the African Diaspora- http://www.moadsf.org/calendar/
More ways you can share the Collective Brilliance of African American people in your home:
- PBS Black Culture Connection: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/home/
- PBS Documentary Suggestions: http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-history-documentaries-to-watch/#.WHgJybYrK8o
- Time for Kids: http://www.timeforkids.com/minisite/black-history-month