The Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing is preparing for the 2017 San Francisco Homeless Point in Time Count. The Point in Time Count is a HUD mandated census of the homeless population; the visual count, followed up by a peer survey helps us better understand who experiences homelessness in San Francisco. This data helps us maximize federal funding for homeless services and allows us to track progress in how we are doing to address homelessness in our community.
We cannot do this count without the support of volunteers!
The count will take place the evening of Thursday January 26th, 2017. There will be a training from 7pm-8pm, and then volunteer teams will then go out to designated map areas to visually count the number of homeless persons they see.
You can sign up to volunteer online.
2017 SF Homeless Point in Time Count Details:
- Thursday January 26, 2017
- 7:00pm-8:00pm – Mandatory Volunteer Training
- 8:00pm-Midnight – Street Count
Volunteer Locations Include:
- Civic Center – Department of Public Health – 101 Grove St, San Francisco, CA 94102
- Sunset – St. Ignatius High School – 2001 37th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94116
- Bayview – Carver Elementary School – 1360 Oakdale Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124
- Mission – Mission High School – 3750 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114
Please help spread the word about the count by posting information on social media or forwarding this email to your organizations.
Here are some sample social media posts you can use:
- How do we know how many people are homeless in SF? We count. Volunteers needed on 1/26 for the Homeless PIT Count! http://bit.ly/2iFlgN6
- Calling all volunteers! SF needs your help for the ’17 Homeless PIT count. Thurs 1/26. Sign up: http://bit.ly/2iFlgN6#EveryoneCounts
Thank you for your support! We look forward to your help and participation in this year’s count!
Emily Cohen | Sr. Analyst
Intergovernmental Affairs and Special Projects
Department of Homelessness & Supportive Housing
City & County of San Francisco