After School Program Site Coordinator-Full Time with Benefits
The Willie Brown Middle School Beacon Center, a program of the Bayview YMCA, is located at Willie Brown Middle School (WBMS) a brand new public middle school in the historic Bayview Community of San Francisco. With an emphasis on STEM focused curriculum, WBMS, open in the fall of 2015 with our pioneering class of 200 excited and motivated sixth graders. Together, we are implementing the community schools model to ensure that every SFUSD student graduates college ready. The Beacon Center provides wrap around support for students and families with school day and out of school programming that gives youth the tools to thrive, while also strengthening the legs that support them: parents, family and community. All Beacon programs and services are free and are open to every student enrolled at the school.
Under the direction of the Beacon Director, this position is responsible for the supervision, operation, development and implementation of our Explore! After School Program at Willie Brown Middle School. Highly collaborative, the Site Coordinator builds and maintains strong and productive relationships with and among students, school staff, parents, the Y and community members of the Bayview. S/he should be adept at working in a fast paced environment with students of color from traditionally underserved communities, and think fast on her/his feet.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements an annual action plan identifying program activities and deadlines for deliverables; meets the goals and deadlines identified in the action plan.
- Hires, trains, actively provides on-going supervision and support for program leaders(course instructors)
- Recruits youth for program
- Implements revised program design and fresh strategies as needed in order to better meetneeds of middle school-aged school youth.
- Coordinates semi-regular presentations and celebrations of young adults’ work.
- Implements and monitors program budget and ensures compliance with funders.
- Communicates with parents of participants on as-needed basis.
- Meets regularly with Beacon Director and attends pertinent school day meetings asrequested.
- Develops strong partnerships with school day staff, including school administration,counselors, Academic Liaison, and other community-based organizations that provide
additional opportunities to participants.
- Performs/delegates some administrative tasks, including but not limited to, database entrytimecard reviews, attendance logs, and budget management.
- Is on site before program (typically by 10am-3:30) to carry out supervisor admin. workand during program hours (program itself starts at 3:30 ends at 6:30pm) to provide
supervision of program and ensure the safety of program participants.
- Participates in ongoing professional development throughout the year.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
- Believes that ALL students can learn and that learning is a life long endeavor
- 5 years or more working with children in an organized setting and 2 years of proven staffdevelopment, supervision and training.
- Strong after school program development and evaluation experience
- Must know how to grow, motivate and maintain a strong new team.
- Holds the belief that student learning, grounded in strong pedagogy, can be engaging andfun while core skills are being developed
- S/he must be at least 23 years of age.
- Bachelor degree required
- Experience working with middle school students from traditionally underservedcommunities; experience developing educational and fun programming for such students
(candidates with teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply)
- Must be knowledgeable about program planning, administration and evaluation, childabuse reporting laws, After School standards, as well as knowledge and awareness of a
wide variety of out of school activities.
- Knowledge of, and an appreciation for, the Bayview Community.
- Team player with proven ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic,socioeconomic, educational, religious, family structures and generational backgrounds.
- Bilingual skills in Spanish, Cantonese or Tagalog preferred.
- Valid California Drivers License and proof of vehicle insurance.
- Background/Fingerprint/TB Clearance.
- First Aid and CPR certification.Salary
Medical Benefits, FSA Account Eligible, Y Membership
How to Apply:
If interested in applying, please email (subject “Site Coordinator”) a cover letter and resume (saved as “Lastname_CoverLetter” / “Lastname_Resume”) and contact info for 3 professional and 1 personal references to: WBMSBeaconPositions@gmail.com
Accepting applications until position is filled.