Dear Breakthrough Supporters,
My name is Joyous Bey, Program Associate with Breakthrough San Francisco. I am writing to share our 2014 New Student Application with you, and to request that you please spread the word to any families or teachers of fourth grade students whom you feel would be a great fit for our program. In the past you may have worked with Jenee Scott, who is now the Director of School Guidance and Student Support at Breakthrough. I am now taking in the lead in the new student recruitment and admissions process.
Breakthrough works with high-achieving middle school students from SFUSD schools with limited educational opportunities. Our goal is to support motivated students on their track to college by helping them develop the skills they need to be successful in any academically rigorous setting.
Breakthrough students participate in our year-round, tuition-free, out of school-time programming until the end of middle school with additional low-touch programing throughout high school. This is an eight year commitment from grades 5-12.
Here are the details:
- Academically intensive, skills-based summer programming the summers before 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades
- Comprehensive school-year programming with after-school tutoring and enrichment twice a week during the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade school years
- Cultural capital building Saturday field trips once per month
- Middle and high school admissions support
- SAT prep, college visits, admissions counseling, and personal enrichment from us or one of our partner organizations during the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades
- Students must demonstrate academic motivation and financial need
I would be happy to do a 30-minute presentation for your students and/or families to spread the word about our opportunity. My schedule is flexible in December and January – if you are interested, please let me know what works for you.
In the meantime, I would greatly appreciate if you could pass this information along to your 4th grade teachers, student and families. I’ve attached the Student Application here (in English, Chinese, and Spanish) and a page of frequently asked questions. For additional FAQs please see the student application or our website (www.breakthroughsf.org). I would also be more than happy to drop off hard copies of the application which is due February 7, 2014.
Our Potential Family Information Night will be on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 (5:30-6:30pm) at San Francisco Day School (350 Masonic Ave., San Francisco, CA). Staff will be available to answer questions about our program. Please encourage families who are interested to attend this event and learn more about Breakthrough.
Thank you for your time. I hope to hear from you soon and look forward to working with you to support motivated students.