Dear Community Members,
We are in the process of filling our last remaining 10 stipended volunteer slots to offer prospective volunteers for our Foster Grandparent Program. We have been doing allot of community based outreach at Senior Resource Fairs, Senior Centers and in Supportive Senior Housing sites throughout the city and are looking for more sites to get the word out.
Foster Grandparents Program
Foster Grandparent volunteers serve 15 to 30 hours or more per week and give of their life experiences and talents to improve the lives of children in need as many of these childcare centers and schools serve low incomes families. Many children don’t have an opportunity to connect with an old adult on a daily basis. Foster Grandparent volunteers support these children by helping them to learn new skills and confidence so they can succeed in life.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteers receive a small tax-free hourly stipend ($2.65 hour) that does not affect any governmental benefits such as Social Security, GA or HUD or MediCal.
- Ongoing monthly training through Family Service Agency and their host sites
- Reimbursement for bus passes and mileage
- Paid sick leave, vacation and holidays
- Using your skills and experience to help children of varying ages in your community.
Open to volunteers who are age 55 years of age or older with an income no more than:
- Single: $1,862 per month or $22,340 per year
- Married: $2,522 per month or $30,260 per year
- Medical expenses can be deducted from your income in order to meet the income limit.
I have enclosed a flyer for our next Pre-service training on September 5th, 6th and 12th as well as a application that can be printed or emailed to others. We would really appreciate it if you could post our flyer at your sites or whenever they can be seen in the community. We will hold three trainings for new volunteers in September, late October and early December as we need to fill all of these slots by the end of the calendar year. Please help us to get the word out. Many of you work in larger organizations with multiple programs, so feel free to pass out our materials to anyone who you think would be a good referral source for us.
The majority of our sites serve very ethnically diverse, low income child centered programs throughout the city and bilingual abilities are needed especially in Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish and Tagalog are very requested. Depending on the community volunteer sites, some volunteers may be OK with “basic English”(especially Chinese Languages)…
We currently have the following volunteer needs…
- 1 Bilingual Spanish speaking tutor for high school students in the afternoon
- 2 volunteers to work with toddlers in a site in the central part of the city
- 2 volunteers for a new pre-school site South of Market
- 4 volunteers with “Basic” English, primary Cantonese speakers for two pre-school sites in Chinatown
- 1 volunteer to serve a few evenings a week to support one of our volunteer sites.
Thanks so much for helping us to spread the word…
FGP/SCP Program Di