Department: Municipal Transportation Agency
Analyst: Robert Castellano
Date Opened: 5/25/2012 8:00:00 AM
Filing Deadline: 6/1/2012 5:00:00 PM
Salary: $18.60 – $29.52/hour
Job Type: CBT Discrete
Employment Type: Full-Time
9163 TRANSIT OPERATOR
The following information describes the civil service classification for which applications are being solicited. Make sure you read the entire announcement before completing the application form.
The purpose of this examination announcement is to establish an eligible list for this classification.
Under general supervision, a Transit Operator operates a variety of transit vehicles such as diesel and electric motor coaches, cable cars, streetcars and light rail vehicles. Essential functions include: conducting pre-operational inspection of the transit vehicle; safely navigating the vehicle through traffic along assigned routes under various environmental conditions in accordance with traffic laws and departmental regulations; operating the disability access lifts to assist persons with disabilities onto the vehicle; collecting fares from passengers and issuing transfers; checking passenger transfers, fast passes, and Clipper entry to ensure they are valid; responding to customers’ questions regarding routes, directions, fares and transfers; communicating instructions to passengers and calling out the vehicle stops and transfer points via the vehicle’s intercom system; conducting post-operational inspection of the outside of the vehicle; contacting central control regarding various emergencies; and completing accident, incident and/or miscellaneous reports to document unusual occurrences. Incumbents may be required to perform other related duties.
Nature of work requires incumbents to work rotating shifts, holidays and weekends; to work outdoors in all weather conditions; and to use computers. In addition, may require standing and/or sitting for prolonged periods of time; performing different physical activities such as pulling poles, resetting retrievers to return disabled transit vehicles to service; and assisting in the movement of disabled transit vehicles when possible. All operators bid for assignments by seniority. Work hours and days off may change several times per year.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Candidates must meet ALL of the following qualifications:
1. Must be at least 21 years old by June 1, 2012; AND
2. A High School graduate or attained a GED or California High School Proficiency Certificate; AND
3. One (1) year of verifiable satisfactory public contact or customer service experience; AND
4. Possession of a valid class C Driver License. Must have been a licensed driver for at least three (3) continuous years from June 1, 2009 through June 1, 2012; Suspension or lapse of driving privilege for any reason, for a total of more than six (6) months during the specified three (3) continuous years and through the date of appointment will be cause for disqualification; AND
5. Possession of or the ability to obtain a Class B – Driver License with a Passenger (P) Endorsement and no restrictions that prohibit operation of a San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency public transit vehicle; AND
6. A good driving record during the three (3) years between June 1, 2009 and June 1, 2012 and through the date of appointment, meeting the following requirements:
* no moving violations;
* no accidents where applicant contributed to cause;
* has not had his/her driving privilege suspended, revoked, or placed on probation by DMV for a cause involving the safe operation of a motor vehicle;
* no convictions of California State Vehicle Code 20001 (leaving the scene of an accident involving bodily injury or death); 23103 through 23109 (reckless driving), 23152 – 23153 (driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs);
*other violations and/or accidents will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may be cause for non-selection; AND
7. No convictions within the seven (7) years between June 1, 2005 and June 1, 2012 of any offense related to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics, habit forming drugs, or dangerous drugs; AND
8. No convictions of any sex offense as defined in Section 44010 of the Education Code; AND
9. Ability to obtain a School Pupil Activity Bus (SPAB) certificate issued by DMV. Refer to attachment “A”.
HOW TO APPLY: Applications and supplemental applications will be available online only atwww.sfmta.com/jobs beginning at 8:00 AM on May 25, 2012 and ending at 5:00 PM on June 1, 2012. Completed application must be submitted online by 5:00 PM on June 1, 2012. Mailed applications will not be accepted. Hard copy applications will not be accepted. Photocopied applications will not be accepted. Faxed applications will not be accepted.
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency employment applications for this position will be accepted through an on-line process only. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted. Visit www.sfmta.com/jobs to begin the application process.
Click and select 9163 Transit Operator.
Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information.
Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”.
Follow instructions given on the screen.
Upon successful submittal of the online application, you will receive a notification on the screen, as well as in your email inbox, acknowledging receipt of your application by the SFMTA Merit Unit. If you are having difficulty submitting your application online, please contact us between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM at (415)701-5024 or (415)701-5046. Mailed or faxed applications will NOT be accepted.
Tips on How to do an Online Job Application:
You will need an E-MAIL ACCOUNT. There are many services on the internet that provide free email accounts. Have a friend or relative help you create a free email account. You may create a free email account and apply for City jobs online on the public computers at any San Francisco Public Library during library hours. You will need to get a free library card at the library before you may access the public-use computers. You may also use the public computers at the Department of Human Resources, One South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor and at the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, One South Van Ness Avenue, 6th Floor (corner of Van Ness and Market) between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Before applying online, write down on paper and prepare ahead of time all your past and present employment history (names, dates, etc.) and personal information. Read and follow all instructions carefully when completing your online application. Complete all requested information. Read the exam announcement carefully for additional instructions after you submit your online application such as the verification of experience requirements and deadlines.
A supplemental questionnaire will be included with the online application. All applicants are required to complete the supplemental questionnaire. The supplemental questionnaire will be used to evaluate whether candidates meet the minimum qualifications. False or incorrect information may result in disqualification from the examination process. Failure to complete the supplemental questionnaire may result in disqualification from the examination process.
Submitting Current DMV H6 Printouts:
When notified by the SFMTA Merit Unit, applicants will be required to submit an original, current Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) H6 printout that verifies that he/she has been a licensed driver for three (3) continuous years from June 1, 2009 through June 1, 2012. Failure to submit the DMV H6 printout in a timely manner may result in disqualification. The printout is available from any DMV office.
If the applicant has been out of California for all or part of the three years between June 1, 2009 and June 1, 2012, a DMV printout from the applicable state/country must be submitted. Applications will not be considered as complete until the DMV printout has been submitted.
If the DMV printout indicates accident(s), the applicant must provide an insurance report or police report showing that the applicant did not contribute to the cause of the accident. If the accident occurred while driving for an employer, a copy of the employer report must be submitted showing that the applicant did not contribute to the cause of the accident.
Applications and supplemental questionnaires, together with DMV printouts, will be reviewed and evaluated to determine if applicants meet the minimum qualifications.
A 24-HOUR RECORDED MESSAGE WITH IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THIS EXAMINATION IS AVAILABLE AT (415) 701-5656.