The San Mateo County Transit District serves nearly 100,000 customers each weekday on its SamTrans buses, Redi-Wheel paratransit vehicles, Caltrain commuter rail cars and shuttles, as well as a robust capital program. The Transit District, which is in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, also is the managing agency for the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Staff enjoys a dynamic organization that fosters personal development and professional advancement of its staff. The Transit District’s core values include integrity, customer focus, respect, quality, teamwork, leadership and accountability. Excellent benefits are provided.
Office of Customer Service and Marketing
The deadline for online applications is midnight on Friday, May 4, 2012.
HOW TO APPLY
1) Complete an online application (including salary history). 2) Resumes are encouraged, but will not be considered unless attached to a completed online application. Incomplete or improperly completed online applications may be rejected even if you are qualified for the position for which you are applying. Please make sure to complete each section of the online application to ensure that your information is accurately captured during our screening process.
This position responds to the public (telephone and walk-in) for general information about the District, provides specific information on routes and schedules for SamTrans and Caltrain and takes consumer and ticket vending machine reports.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to: – Sufficient customer service experience providing information to the public over the telephone or in a direct customer service environment. – Specific knowledge of San Mateo County and the Peninsula (the District’s bus and train service area) is essential. – Basic computer skills (e-mail, Internet and Word) and light typing is required. – Must have good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respond to callers quickly, accurately and courteously. Must be able to communicate clearly and distinctly and be able to effectively determine the true needs of the caller as well as handle difficult callers. – Must be available to work an average of 16 hours per week, including weekdays, weekends, holidays and evenings, with the flexibility to work more hours as needed. – Position requires patience, tact and understanding as well as the ability to multi-task.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Examples of Essential Functions:
• Utilizing a phone, equipment for the hearing impaired (TTY) or other communication devices, responds in English and/or other languages to requests for information about routes, schedules, bus stops and fares, referring to maps, schedule data, stop information and ancillary data.
• Instruct customers on how and where to transfer to other transit services, and/or other modes of transportation and connecting services, often using street maps.
• Receive reports from customers on Caltrain, SamTrans and paratransit services by telephone and enters information into a Web-based application. Resolve issues or refers to Customer Relations Specialist for resolution.
Examples of Duties:
• Take group reservations for Caltrain and SamTrans and directs appropriately.
• Utilize computer to access relevant information and complete other work-related functions.
• Assist with the following: outreaches at businesses or community events, news clips, ticket distribution, discount card processing, backing-up the receptionist.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Works under general supervision of the Supervisor, Customer Service, who establishes goal and objectives and evaluates performance.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE:
1) Written and/or skills assessment examination. 2) Background investigation. 3) Applications will be screened for minimum qualifications and completeness. 4) Finalists will be interviewed by screening and selection panel.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
Free transportation on SamTrans buses. Incentives are offered for riding other forms of public transit.
$ 15.00/hour through training. $ 19.25/hour upon completion of training.
The CSR1-EH position is regularly scheduled to work less than twenty (20) hours per week and is not permitted to work more than nine hundred ninety-nine (999) hours per fiscal year.