Title: System Service Worker Pool (Part-Time)
Job ID: 3031
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
A job at BART offers the satisfaction of providing an invaluable public service, while accomplishing your own career goals, earning highly competitive pay, and enjoying an unparalleled benefits program. BART , a wonderful career opportunity.
Pay and Benefits
BART offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefits programs you will find anywhere. We pay at rates that are strongly competitive in the labor market, and complement our pay program with an outstanding benefits package. Benefits include the renowned CalPERS pension, excellent medical, vision, and dental coverage, supplemental insurances, excellent paid holidays and vacation, as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART on your behalf. BART also saves you money in your paycheck because no deductions are made for Social Security.
April 30, 2012
Please Note: This announcement will be used to establish a pool of eligible outside candidates for vacancies occurring within the next twelve (12) months.
This position will close at the receipt of 1,000 applications or on May 11, 2012 whichever comes first. Only the first 1,000 applications will be considered.
System Service Supervisor at various District-wide locations.
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees. (Note: SEIU BART employees please review the selection process for special instruction on how to apply for this position.)
Under general supervision, performs a variety of janitorial duties in maintaining District stations and offices in a clean and orderly condition; performs related work as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Will Demonstrate:
- Working knowledge of cleaning and maintenance of large facilities where the general public has access. For example, hospitals; schools; airports or grocery stores (construction clean-up is a plus).
- Working knowledge and an understanding of safety practices while operating commercial floor cleaning equipment. For example, Ride-on Scrubbers and Sweepers
- Work experience with a commercial/industrial janitorial service
- Ability to read and write legible reports; and maintain accurate records
- At least three years of verifiable janitorial work experience with one employer
Essential Job Functions
- Assembles necessary cleaning equipment, materials, supplies, cleaning solutions and required protective gear.
- Travels to assigned work site maintaining District stations in a clean and orderly condition by sweeping, scrubbing, waxing and cleaning floors, cleaning and polishing elevators, escalators, ticket machines, gates and fixtures, washing windows and windbreakers and emptying trash containers.
- Responsible for clearing leaves, trash and debris by sweeping and cleaning walkways, patios and sidewalks from the station to the street and all bus stops on District property.
- Cleans District office areas by vacuuming floors, carpets and upholstery, shampooing carpets and upholstery, emptying ashtrays and trash cans, dusting and washing chairs, desks, files and other surfaces and washing walls and doors.
- Cleans and disinfects restroom surfaces and fixtures using detergents and chemicals.
- Restocks restrooms with services supplies such as soap and paper goods.
- Performs heavy cleaning in shop areas, including service pits, truck bays and docks and floor areas, ensuring that debris and grease are removed; in employee lunchroom areas, cleans sink, stove, refrigerator and tables in addition to floor and wall areas.
- Steam cleans tools or parts as may be required; documents work performed, notifying crew leader or supervisor of required maintenance.
- Responds to urgent cleanup in parking lots, garages, trains, offices, and stations as required.
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade
One year of experience which will have provided a familiarity with industrial janitorial procedures, equipment and supplies.
Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record. Must have physical capability to perform strenuous physical labor, including sufficient strength to lift trash containers and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Must be willing to work weekends and off hours shifts.
This is a SEIU Local 1021 Bargaining unit position. However, All SEIU members must follow the “Bid Form Process”, failure to comply will invalidate an employee’s application.
The selection process will include a screening for minimum qualifications as listed in this posting and may additionally involve a skills/performance test, written exam, and/or a panel interview. Outside applicants will not be considered until all employees who have applied have been considered first.
This is a SEIU Local 1021 Bargaining unit position. However, all full-time SEIU District employees must follow the “Bid Form” process and deposit their bids in the bid box. Failure to comply may invalidate the employee’s bid. As actual vacancies occur, District employees on the internal eligibility list will be considered before outside candidates.
External applicants may only apply on line, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the on line application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
The Employment Office will screen Bid form applications and resumes against the minimum qualifications. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the hiring department for further consideration. The selection process may involve a skills/performance test, written exam, and/or a panel interview. Outside applicants will not be considered until all employees who have applied have been considered first.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer-related), genetic information or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by calling (510) 464-6112.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please call the Employment Help Line at (510) 464-6112 for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the ‘My Career Tools’ link at the top of the ‘Careers Home Page’ after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please call the Employment Help Line at (510) 464-6112, between the hours of 8:15am – 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.