JOB TITLE: EDUCATION ADVISER
PROGRAM: SAN FRANCISCO COLLEGE ACCESS CENTER (SFCAC), CAL-SOAP
LOCATION: 1596 POST STREET, 1ST FLOOR, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94109
SALARY: $14.50 PER HOUR, PART-TIME POSITION, SOME EVENINGS & WEEKENDS
THIS IS A 10-12 MONTH CONTRACT POSITION. POSSIBLE EXTENSION WILL BE BASED ON JOB PERFORMANCE AND PROGRAM FUNDING.
APPLY DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
EXPECTED START DATE: ASAP
JCYC’s San Francisco College Access Center (SFCAC) mission is to provide culturally relevant, comprehensive college preparation information and assistance. Although open to the community, the program targets students who are low income and/or first of their family to attend postsecondary education programs. SFCAC is a collaborative program focusing on service coordination, enhancement, and expansion. It is one of 16 Cal-SOAP projects administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).
– Must be currently enrolled in college as an undergraduate or graduate student for the 2011-2012 academic year.
– Must demonstrate that you are the recipient of financial aid (ie: Pell Grant, Cal Grant, loans, or work-study) for the 2011-2012 academic year.
The Education Adviser reports directly to the SFCAC Program Manager. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Identify, select and serve eligible participants at target school site based on eligibility criteria.
• Assess and determine participants’ educational needs and academic potential.
• Provide college and career counseling on an individual and group basis to encourage participants to complete high school and enroll in college.
• Assist participants in applications for college admissions, financial aid, entrance exams and scholarships.
• Coordinate and chaperone college campus field trips.
• Assist in the coordination of financial aid events (Cash for College).
• Participate in community outreach events, college fairs, conferences, and trainings.
• Coordinate Career Technical Education (CTE) programming at designated work sites.
• Manage a caseload of 80 to 100 high school students who will receive “intensive contacts/services” as defined by program guidelines.
• Maintain and complete participants’ files with all required documents for all students in caseload.
• Provide support to target SFUSD high school counseling staff and collaborate on events that complement SFCAC program timeline.
Other Program Duties
• Participate in other SFCAC/intra-agency meetings, activities, committees, conferences, retreats, etc., as appropriate.
• Other related duties as needed.
EDUCATION: High school diploma required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 1 or more years experience working with youth providing support services and/or understanding of obstacles of youth who are low-income and first in their families to attend college; Experience in conducting presentations and activity planning; Effective verbal and written communication skills; Team player; Possess strong organizational and follow-through skills; Proficient in MS Word and Excel and knowledgeable in Power Point; Experience working with diverse student populations and bilingual preferred (Spanish, Mandarin and/or Cantonese) preferred; Knowledge of community activities, resources and programs for youth in SF and ability to work cooperatively with high school faculty and community agency staff, desired.
HOW TO APPLY: No Phone Calls Please. Applicants MUST submit the following to be considered: 1) resume of qualifications and experience and; 2) cover letter. Email cover letter AND resume to: info_sfcac AT jcyc DOT org Attn: SFCAC Adviser Position
PLEASE NOTE: The San Francisco College Access Center (SFCAC), a program of Japanese Community Youth Council, actively seek to hire and promote individuals, recruit volunteers and provide services to individuals without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious creed, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or presence of non-job related conditions or disabilities. All employees of the JCYC participate in a criminal background investigation.