Volunteer Program Manager
(Position # VOLPM)
Benetech is seeking a dynamic and creative professional forour Volunteer Program Manager position. This position will manage our activevolunteer program and will be launching one or more major new volunteerinitiatives in the coming year. The position will report to the Director ofOperations for the Literacy Program.
Benetech, a prominent silicon valley nonprofit, was foundedin 2000 with an explicit goal to create new technology solutions that servehumanity and empower people to improve their lives. Led by Jim Fruchterman, aprominent social entrepreneur and MacArthur Fellow, Benetech’s mission is tolead the world in creative, effective applications of technology to unmetsocial needs. We focus on projects that offer the greatest social return onfunds invested.
The Volunteer Program Manager will support Benetech’sLiteracy Program, with a primary focus on Bookshare, the largest online libraryof copyrighted materials available to print-disabled individuals. The Booksharelibrary now includes over 120,000 titles and serves over 150,000 members.Volunteers are a critical component of the Bookshare community and have a longstanding connection and history with Bookshare, as well as a major role inachieving our mission in the future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· VolunteerEngagement and Retention – Ensure that volunteers are engaged and have a clearsense of the impact and value of their efforts; design and implement astructured program for volunteer engagement.
· Partnerrecruitment and engagement – Recruit and retain key corporate, public, andnon-profit organizations as ongoing volunteer partners and champions
· OperationalManagement – Manage all aspects of the volunteer program operations, includingvolunteer on boarding, workflow and recognition
· StaffManagement – Supervise the staff team for the volunteer program
· VolunteerRecruitment – Develop and implement a comprehensive volunteer recruitmentprogram, from the community and universities as well as partners.
· DataTracking and Reporting – Create volunteer data tracking and reportinginfrastructure that captures key metrics and trend data, maps progress againstgoals, and highlights the impact and ROI for the volunteer program.
· Communication– Develop and implement a volunteer communications strategy, conveying theaccomplishments and importance of the volunteer efforts and creating a sense ofcommunity among the volunteers.
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Demonstratedleadership and interpersonal skills, teamwork orientation, and ability tomotivate wide range of people. Sensitivity to issues of cultural diversity.
· A minimum of twoyears prior management or staff supervision experience
· Prior experiencein volunteer management highly desirable
· Excellent oraland written communication skills, including demonstrated writing ability andsome public speaking experience.
· Demonstratedability to execute operational strategies and manage projects in a dynamic,fast-paced environment.
· Strongorganizational and administrative skills. Must be able to work independentlyand as part of a team and with all levels of staff, Board, membership andvolunteers.
· Office softwareproficiency, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Databaseexperience also a plus.
· Excellent verbaland written communication skills
· Experience withdata tracking, reporting, and data analysis
Benetech’s Organizational Truths
· Weare committed to social change through technology
· Weget stuff done
· Wedo the right stuff right
· Weprefer open to proprietary (internal and external)
· Wethink we can do more together (internally and externally)
· Wevalue flexibility (as an employer and from our employees)
· Weare committed to personal and professional development
To apply: Send resume andcover letter to: email@example.com include the position code, “VOLPM”in the subject line.