Job Title: Executive Staff Assistant to the District Secretary
Job ID: 2709
Location: Lakeside – 23rd Floor
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Pay and Benefits
BART offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefits programs you will find anywhere. We pay at rates that are strongly competitive in the labor market, and complement our pay program with an outstanding benefits package. Benefits include the renowned CalPERS pension, excellent medical, vision, and dental coverage, supplemental insurances, excellent paid holidays and vacation, as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART on your behalf. BART also saves you money in your paycheck because no deductions are made for Social Security.
$63,811.76/ Minimum Annual Salary – $98,910.23/ Maximum Annual Salary
Non-Rep. Pay Band 3
October 17, 2011
This position will close at the receipt of 200 applications or on October 21,2011 whichever arrives first. Only the first 200 applications will be considered.
Saturday and Sunday
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees
The incumbent selected for this position will provide professional level complex and confidential administrative and analytical support to the District Secretary. This non supervisory administrative position will be responsible for coordinating assigned activities with the respective Board Officers, Executive Managers, Departments Managers, outside agencies and organizations. The successful candidate will interact with Board of Directors, executive staff, and public, requiring poise, professionalism, and will maintain an understanding of District activities and political environment. The position will also be responsible for the coordination of administrative activities within the office, including but not limited to: maintaining the calendar of activities, meetings and events for the District Secretary¿s Office; preparing expense accounts for approval; providing secretarial assistance to the District Secretary, Assistant District Secretary and members of the Board of Directors; administering the Board of Directors¿ database of requests for agenda items, reports, etc.; representing the District Secretary with the Fair Political Practices Commission and administering the District¿s annual filing of Statements of Economic Interest for all designated employees, Board of Directors, and consultants; and managing the referral of customer complaints to responsible staff on behalf of the Board of Directors.
The incumbent selected will demonstrate the following criteria beyond the minimum qualifications:
*Demonstrated skills in organization and planning
*Experience in preparation of minutes, proofreading and editing documents
*Receiving and screening visitors and telephone calls, providing information which may require the use of judgment and interpretation of policies and procedures.
*Skill in managing databases
*Working independently using considerable latitude and independence of actions
*Knowledge of computer software word processing and spreadsheet applications
Essential Job Functions
1) Interacts with executive staff, Board of Directors, and public, requiring poise, professionalism, and understanding of District activities and political environment;
2) Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls, providing information which requires the use of judgment and interpretation of policies and procedures;
3) Independently researches, compiles and summarizes a variety of informational materials;
4) Organizes own work, sets priorities and meets critical deadlines;
5) Administers the District¿s and the Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority¿s (CCJPA) Conflict of Interest Code, ensuring the completeness, accuracy, and timely compliance of Code.
6) Independently composes, compiles and prepares correspondence, reports and documents; reviews finished materials for completeness, accuracy and compliance with District policies and procedures and appropriate English usage;
7) Coordinates departmental activities with those of other District departments, including following up on projects assigned to other departments;
8) Completes special projects as assigned;
9) Opens, sorts, routes, and tracks mail;
10) Maintains various administrative, reference and follow-up files;
11) Keeps informed of pertinent District and departmental activities;
12) Provides secretarial assistance to the District Secretary, Assistant District Secretary and members of the Board of Directors, and assists other departmental staff as necessary, providing relief in their absence;
13) Coordinates, prepares and makes timely distribution of agenda materials for the CCJPA; attends CCJPA Meetings in and out of the District;
14) Assists in contract administration;
15) Assists in the assembly and mailing of agendas and Board meeting materials;
16) May coordinate travel schedules; arrange travel details; prepare expense accounts for approval and payment;
17) May assist in the conducting of District elections, including handling of citizen inquiries regarding District boundaries and elections;
18) May assist in preparation of the department budget;
Education: High School Diploma, GED or recognized equivalent.
Experience: Six (6) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable responsible secretarial, or office administrative experience. NOTE: Two (2) years of business or secretarial school training and experience as a department level secretary or above is desirable.
NOTE: Skill in taking dictation by hand or stenographic machine at a rate of 90 words per minute and transcribing it accurately may be required.
Must be able to type at a speed of 50 net words per minute.
Must be willing to attend evening meetings outside the District offices, and meetings outside of the District. Must be able to push carts and lift boxes up to 25 pounds.
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and/or an individual or panel interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S.; pass a pre-employment medical examination which includes a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations)
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer-related), genetic information or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by calling (510) 464-6112.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please call the Employment Help Line at (510) 464-6112 for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the ‘My Career Tools’ link at the top of the ‘Careers Home Page’ after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please call the Employment Help Line at (510) 464-6112, between the hours of 8:15am – 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.