Free Summer Activities for Arts-Loving Teens!
- Jazz workshop for high school vocal and instrumental performers @ Stern Grove, San Francisco (19th Avenue and Sloat near Stonestown — served by Muni Metro and many other Muni lines)
- Free Latin, Jazz, World Music and other performances @ Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco (Fourth and Howard streets near Metreon/Westfield Center — served by BART, Muni Metro and many other Muni lines)
- Salsa in the Square @ Union Square
- Youth Speaks events and the Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Slam Festival, various venues
1. SUMMER SESSIONS WITH JAZZ MAFIA
Summer Sessions is a three day series of music performance workshops with the musicians of Jazz Mafia. Jazz Mafia is a collective of young musicians, emcees and vocalists who perform jazz with hip-hop, electronica, soul, funk, big band, and orchestral music.
Summer Sessions with Jazz Mafia focuses on performance, jazz improvisation techniques, and more. After the workshops, you get the chance to perform with Jazz Mafia onstage at Stern Grove Festival in front of your friends, family and thousands of fans!
WHO CAN APPLY? SFUSD high school students interested in music and vocal studies.
- Wednesday, June 22nd from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 23rd 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 24th 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday, June 26th concert with Jazz Mafia – 11 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
WHERE? Sigmund Stern Grove, located at 19th Avenue and Sloat Boulevard in San Francisco
WHAT DOES IT COST? This program is FREE and open to SFUSD High School students
HOW DO I APPLY? To download a PDF application form, please visit http://www.sterngrove.org/sessions.html.
2. YERBA BUENA GARDENS FREE PERFORMANCES
Free music, dance, spoken word and theater performances throughout the summer. YBG has them divided up onto several separate calendars, below.
THURSDAY LUNCHTIME CONCERTS
Latin, jazz, world music and more: Every Thursday June 2-Sept. 29, 12:30-1:30 p.m. See schedule here: http://www.ybgf.org/Programs/Lunchtime.php. On Thursday, July 14, the Latin Jazz Youth Ensemble will perform, featuring many SOTA musicians.
LATIN JAZZ SERIES
Some of those concerts are part of the YBG Latin Jazz Series, which also includes free Saturday and Sunday concerts — see schedule here: http://www.ybgf.org/Programs/LatinJazz.php
Traditional and contemporary — free! http://www.ybgf.org/Programs/Dance.php
POETRY, SPOKEN WORD AND THEATER
Performances include two with local teen spoken-word artists in Youth Speaks – Tuesday, June 28, 12:30-1:30 p.m.; and Tuesday, July 19, 12:30-1:30 p.m. http://www.ybgf.org/Programs/TheaterPoetry.php
3. SALSA IN THE SQUARE @ UNION SQUARE, San Francisco
Near BART, Muni Metro and many Muni lines, including the 38-Geary. Free salsa dancing to live performers on Wednesday evenings — June 15, July 20, Aug. 17, 6-8 p.m. On Wednesday, July 20, the Latin Jazz Youth Ensemble will perform, featuring many SOTA musicians. http://www.ybgf.org/Programs/SpecialProjects.php
4. YOUTH SPEAKS EVENTS AND THE BRAVE NEW VOICES INTERNATIONAL YOUTH POETRY SLAM FESTIVAL, various venues
This year, the Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Slam Festival is set for San Francisco the evening of Saturday, July 23, at the Opera House. Brave New Voices represents youth from all across the United States and Europe, making it the largest ongoing spoken word event in the world.
Youth Speaks events in connection with Brave New Voices offer enrichment and educational activities that stimulate the creativity and nurture the soul — mostly free — during the week of July 18-23. Writing workshops and spectator opportunities are to be announced. Visit www.youthspeaks.org for details.