Details for today’s exhibit and related activities are as follows:
“A Century of Black Cinema” – Thursday, February 17th – 7pm
IN HONOR OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH JAZZ HERITAGE CENTER ANNOUNCES GRAND OPENING RECEPTION
“TRIBUTE TO THE BLACK FILM MAKERS HALL OF FAME, INC”
SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Feb 11, 2011) – The Jazz Heritage Center located in San Francisco’s Fillmore District announced that the unveiling of the newly created “Tribute To The Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame, Inc.” exhibition will take place on Wednesday, February 16th, in the JHC’s Koret Heritage Lobby – 1330 Fillmore Street.
The Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame Oscar Micheaux Awards Ceremony was started in February 1974 during Black History Month by the Cultural and Ethnic Affairs Guild of the Oakland Museum to recognize the contributions of blacks to film. Because of the overwhelming support from the stars, media, community, and corporate sponsors, the programs with stated goals to research, study, teach, preserve and illuminate the contributions of Blacks to film and television, and create a change in the negative images of Blacks as they were portrayed in these powerful communication media began to encourage a new generation of independent black filmmakers.
“This story is a significant accomplishment spanning 20 years of recognition, participation and inspiration. The JHC is excited to include this tribute to its ever increasing menu of exhibits as we strive to honor the heritage of African American contributions to the arts, music and culture” – Peter Fitzsimmons, JHC Executive Director.
“Since 1974, 67 of the brightest and most accomplished actors, actresses, producers, directors and writers have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. It recognizes the pioneers in the film industry who struggled against great odds to obtain a foothold in the industry.” – Douglas Rainey, Curator
Details for the exhibit and related activities are as follows:
- The JHC’s Lush Life Gallery Opening Reception & Exhibit Viewing Kick Off on February 16th, 1320 Fillmore Street – (415) 255 7745.
- Special Screenings in the JHC’S Media and Education Theater, 1330 Fillmore (next to Yoshi’s Box Office)
- The History of the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame – Loop DVD Presentation – from 7 pm to 9 pm
- “A Century of Black Cinema” – Thursday, February 17th – 7pm
- “TV in Black – The First Fifty Years” Friday, February 18th: – 7pm
- “Oscars Black Odyssey – From Hattie to Halle” Wednesday, February 23rd – 7pm
- Mini Oscar Micheaux Silent Film Festival, “Within Our Gates” and “Body & Soul” Friday, February 25th – 7pm
Sponsoring partner: Wells Fargo Bank